1.03.2013

dinosaurs don't eat mandarin oranges

Last night I dreamed that I had an aquarium full of unique fish that I forgot to feed because it was hidden in my closet.  So I added more water (a few inches had evaporated), some fish food, and saw there were already a lot of mandarin orange slices floating around.  Once water and food was added, the water started churning and frothing, and four of the fish immediately grew into small dinosaurs: a pinky-coral Tyrannosaurus, a blue and light-green Brachiosaurus, a darker green Ankylosaurus, and one more that I don't remember.
Right away I took the cover off the aquarium because it had gotten so full.  The Tyrannosaurus popped out and I was really wary of it, even though all the dinosaurs looked a little cartoon-y and perhaps not realistically intimidating.  The T-Rex was about knee-high on me.  I tried to shoo it back into the aquarium--while silently apologizing to the rest of the fish and turtles, who were sure to be eaten--when she spoke: "You've got to be kidding!  It's way too crowded in there!"  Uh...okay.  I stammered a lame excuse and ran down the hall to find the Brachiosaur and Ankylosaur, who had calmly wandered off in search of plant life.  Shutting the bedroom door behind me, I made immediate plans for the dinos.
First, I wanted to take the Tyrannosaur to the University of Minnesota to be studied by their science departments.  I figured they could put up with her attitude and eventually extinguish her if necessary.  Cruel, yes, but also helpful to the science world.  I had no way of knowing how large or aggressive she would grow to be and didn't want that responsibility.
The Ankylosaur was given to a pet shop, though he probably should have gone to the University as well.  But I liked him and didn't want him to spend his life in a lab.
I just let the other dinosaur wander off, deciding to give him the chance to determine his own destiny.  I think things worked out fine for him.
The Brachiosaurus was for me.  He was calm and friendly and excited to be out of the tiny aquarium.  His head was at least as high as mine, and I definitely wanted to take a ride on his back.  When I got back from getting the Tyrannosaur to the U (actually, I think I took her to the sidewalk outside my house and delegated some neighborhood kids to do it because I was so wary of her and her teeth), I ran to the Brachiosaur and jumped on him with lots of hugs.  Then he sighed happily and said, "All I really wanted was a good cuddle."  We laid contentedly for a few minutes, then I jumped up and asked if I could ride naked on his back.  He hesitatingly complied, so I was ecstatic.  Then later he turned into an ex-boyfriend of mine and it got really weird so I'm leaving those details out.

No comments:

Post a Comment